Good afternoon everyone, the store cupboard isn’t working quite as I planned so for the time being I think I shall do things a bit differently. By all means add quotes on the week’s topic in the comments box. Thank you to all who have done so thus far:
Here are are some reasonably well known quotes made by kings and queens of England and the United Kingdom. How many can you identify? Answers next week.
Which monarch said:
- “The word must is not to be used with princes.”
- “The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.”
- “A subject and a sovereign are clean different things.”
- “Hops are a wicked and pernicious weed.”
- “I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as King as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love.”
- “I can make a lord but only God can make a gentleman.”
- “I always admired virtue – but I could never imitate it.”
- “Bugger Bognor.”
- I don’t mind praying to the Eternal Father, but I must be the only man in the country afflicted with an eternal mother.
- “Mad is he? The I hope he will bite some of my other generals.”